Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I made Almond Milk

Well, I can honestly say I never thought I'd make almond milk. Everything changed when I read this post about a sleeping potion late last night.

I followed links from that post to this post which has a basic recipe for almond milk.

I was inspired. I happened to have almonds (which is actually quite amazing). So I immersed a cup of almonds in water and left them to soak overnight.

I slept in, so they soaked for a very, very long time.


Early this afternoon, I drained and rinsed the almonds, added them to 4 cups of cold water (adding a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla extract) and blended them up until it was as smooth as I could get it.


I lined my sifter with muslin (doubled over), and put it over a bowl. I poured the mixture into the strainer, and delighted as completely smooth almond milk filled the bowl, leaving all the pulp in the strainer. 


Then I took pictures and wrote this post.

Does anyone else make their almond milk? I didn't realise how easy it was!

ETA: I forgot to say what I thought of it! Oops!

My husband says it reminds him a lot of soy milk. It's strange because it's the mouth-feel is of water, but it looks like milk and it tastes like almonds. I'm wondering about other methods of making it and if they will make a creamier product.

I think I could learn to really love it.