Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I made Almond Milk

Well, I can honestly say I never thought I'd make almond milk. Everything changed when I read this post about a sleeping potion late last night.

I followed links from that post to this post which has a basic recipe for almond milk.

I was inspired. I happened to have almonds (which is actually quite amazing). So I immersed a cup of almonds in water and left them to soak overnight.

I slept in, so they soaked for a very, very long time.


Early this afternoon, I drained and rinsed the almonds, added them to 4 cups of cold water (adding a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla extract) and blended them up until it was as smooth as I could get it.


I lined my sifter with muslin (doubled over), and put it over a bowl. I poured the mixture into the strainer, and delighted as completely smooth almond milk filled the bowl, leaving all the pulp in the strainer. 


Then I took pictures and wrote this post.

Does anyone else make their almond milk? I didn't realise how easy it was!

ETA: I forgot to say what I thought of it! Oops!

My husband says it reminds him a lot of soy milk. It's strange because it's the mouth-feel is of water, but it looks like milk and it tastes like almonds. I'm wondering about other methods of making it and if they will make a creamier product.

I think I could learn to really love it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I've never heard of any other methods (though you can buy a special nut bag to use for straining instead of the muslin but it's completely unnecessary).

    The way to make it creamier is to change the water to almond ration. Some recipes call for as much as 6 or 7 cups of water per cup of almonds. And some call for as little as 4. Use less water for creamier milk.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!