Monday, August 8, 2011

Flash Fiction: Temperance

After all the great comments yesterday I'm afraid my head is beginning to swell. I'm going to have to start making beanies in a larger size so they fit me! Also, Georgia (the name used in yesterday's story) is the name of the font I'm writing in right now. It's one of my favourite fonts.

Today's flash fiction is about the virtue 'temperance', which also has an incredible definition:

Restraint, temperance, justice. Constant mindfulness of others and one's surroundings; practicing self-control, abstention, moderation, zero-sum and deferred gratification. Prudence to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time. Proper moderation between self-interest, versus public-interest, and against the rights and needs of others. (Vice: gluttony.)

I haven't pre-written a story for today, so I'll just start writing and see what comes out (followed by a quick edit, of course).

__________________________________________

Temperance  

The king's mother stood at the side of her son's throne, a regal smile on her lips. Her eyes, however, revealed her rage. 

Her fool son had no idea how to rule. He gave understanding and kindness when it was clear that punishment and humiliation were needed. That is how her husband had ruled, and the treasuries had tripled in a mere four years.

Her stomach churned as she witnessed her son pardon the debt of a frail peasant. Does he not realise this commoner is dishonest and greedy? When will he learn to revere the crown as he ought?
__________________________________________


So tell me, what do you think?
Garbage or gold?
If you want to read what others have written, follow this link!