Thursday, August 11, 2011

Flash Fiction: Patience

And now for something completely different...
It's the Spanish Inquisition!

Well, no, not really. (Sorry.)

But today, I've decided to write some "flash autobiography" to give a snapshot of what comes to mind when I think about patience - I think it addresses the first part of the definition the most (sometimes knitting takes a lot of sheer determination!), but also touches on the last part too about "peaceful stability and community".

Here is the full definition:
Forbearance and endurance through moderation. Resolving conflicts and injustice peacefully, as opposed to resorting to violence. Accepting the grace to forgive; to show mercy to sinners. Not killing or being violent in any way to any life form or sentient being; to practice moderation of meat consumption and consistent life ethic. Creating a sense of peaceful stability and community, rather than engendering suffering, hostility and antagonism. (Vice: wrath.)

Here it is - I hope you like it!

__________________________________________

Patience

My baby blanket, lacy and hand knit. An heirloom made by Grandma for me. 

I did not always understand how knitted gifts are made of more than yarn, soft and warm and springy.

Now, as I knit, I know her gift was one of time, of effort and perhaps also of tears. A gift of love.

As I make stitch after tiny stitch, I envision a time when my children – and, God grant, my grandchildren – will be warmed by the work of my hands.

Now, I wonder, will they also come to understand – to love – this patient form of art?


__________________________________________


As always, to see what others have done, simply click your heart out right here.