Thursday, June 9, 2011

Brownies: A Procedural Text

During my last teaching prac, I taught a unit on procedural texts. (What are they?) They're texts that give a procedure, such as instructions, recipes, directions and so on. 

One of the procedural texts the class worked with was a recipe for marshmallows. 


Brownies, however, are much more awesome than marshmallows, and I really wanted to make brownies right now. Also, I want to try to post everyday while on holidays, so all these things have combined to make a post containing a procedural text on how to make Brownies! (I thought about annotating the recipe to show elements of a procedural text, but I value my time too much.)

This is my favourite brownies recipe: it is easy, the ingredients are usually in the cupboard or fridge, it's chewy, not too rich and it works every time. It just tastes so good, especially with a cup of chai tea!



BROWNIES

What you need:
200grams butter
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

What to do:
1. Turn the oven to 180C and line a 30x20cm tin with baking paper (or grease it).
2. In a medium sized saucepan, put the butter and cocoa. Melt it gently and make sure you don't boil it.
3. Add the sugar and the vanilla, and stir it in well.
4. Take the mixture off the heat and sift in the flour. Stir it in well.
5. Add the eggs, beating them in really well.
6. If using them, add the chopped walnuts and stir them in,
7. Spread the mixture in the tin. Bake for 20-25minutes.

This brownie does not need icing, but if you really want to, ice it with your favourite chocolate icing. Alternatively, dust it with icing sugar.

To be honest, I don't even dust it with icing sugar, as I eat it while it's still warm. It's that good!

2 comments:

  1. This is the best Brownies recipe ever! My 11 year old made them with no help and they turned out perfectly! Yum yum yum! (I also now need to drink a chai tea)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have visited today! They are soooooo good!!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!