Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 03: A Book That Completely Surprised Me

Once I watched the first ten minutes or so of Little Lord Fauntleroy. I was bored out of my mind. (In my defence, was only 12.)

Some of you will know that I love classic children's books. I'm not talking about picture books, but chapter books (though I also love picture books). Things like Winnie the Pooh, Little House on the Prairie, What Katie Did... love them! I also love LOVE love second hand books: hardbacks with someone's name handwritten on the inside cover, maybe a torn page or two. A book that has been loved, in other words.

So, when I see a second hand copy of a classic children's book that I don't own and haven't read, I'll generally snap it up like it's chocolate and I'm hormonal. You know what I mean.

And that is how I came to own a copy of Little Lord Fauntleroy, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. 


I put off reading it for a long time as I thought it might be a little slow or tedious.

I was so very delightfully wrong. It's a beautiful, charming story. I didn't want it to end. It has a bit of mystery too. Also, the dog's name is Dougal! Just like my (now departed) cat. I thoroughly recommend it.

Sorry for this dodgy photo!
Now I think about it, I haven't liked the movie adaptions of any of Frances Hodgson Burnett's books, but when I read the books I have always been pleasantly surprised: The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy. The Railway Children is also a great story, though I've never seen a movie of it (I'm not even completely sure that there has been a movie made of it). Frances had the storytelling knack.

 


ps: add your link in the comments if you're joining in!

1 comment:

  1. Love Frances Hodgson Burnett. I have A Little Princess I picked up at a school fair. I really want The Secret Garden. A lot. Loved the films. Liked the books. A lot.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!