Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A World-Wide Community

Usually it is not until we admit that we are struggling that we are surrounded by community. 

I have found this to be true many times, in several different situations. When I failed my teaching prac I was given so much support and encouragement by fellow students, friends and my family. When I cut off a destructive relationship, unsure of what would happen next and of being alone, I was immediately surrounded by friends who pretty much fell over backwards to support and help me, offering me comfort and wise advice as I needed it.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been at breaking point, feeling discouraged and depressed, and someone has come along and given me an encouraging word which was just what I needed to hear, even though they had no idea of what was even wrong.

This is all a big long introduction to this:

I am so grateful for the support I am receiving as I attempt NaNo, and I love that it is coming from all over the world. Specifically:

1. The UK. A friend who I met during uni moved to the UK to be with her man, and we are in contact nearly everyday via facebook.
2. South Africa. A person from Ravelry contacted me and we are emailing each other back and forth, encouraging and keeping accountable to each other.
3. Poland. A guy (hehe) who I used to go to church with now lives over there with his wife and two children, and is doing NaNo for the second time. He has offered a lot of encouragement to me. On Sunday he sent me this:
Well done!
He has also figured out how to include my dare of having a real recipe in the book:
"You will be pleased to know that I have included cake as a crucial part of my novel and I plan to have the recipe included in chapter seven." 
He dared me to include an alien abduction in mine... I'm still working out the details...

2 comments:

  1. Wheeeeeeeeeeee I was mentioned in a post and I was number one! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I think you need more motivation...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!