Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Creative Space

My creative space is on my laptop, typing away on my story in Scriviner.

Truth be told, I have fallen a little behind on the necessary wordcount for my NaNo writing. Not by too much though. Enough for me to feel a bit too much pressure. I thought that I'd give you a little excerpt. 

Please remember that this is a first draft, and so a little crappiness is to be expected!


       Lily was a clumsy girl. She was always spilling juice down her front and tripping over and landing on her face. Lily’s clumsiness wasn’t due to hands or feet that were unnaturally large. Rather, Lily suffered from an overdeveloped imagination.
In Lilyland, as her parents called it, cups of juice became goblets of poison, so how could Lily keep her hands from trembling as she bravely tried to stand firm against her pirate captors? Likewise, how could she help tripping over when she was walking along with her face pointed up at the sky, looking for pictures in the clouds.
It is fortunate that Lily’s imagination had such an effect on her, because if she had been looking where she was galloping one sunny morning, she would never have tripped over and landed with her face a few centimetres from a toadstool.
Lily looked at the toadstool, a little dazed from her fall. Why, it looked like it had little arms! How could that be? Toadstools are toadstools and never have arms. Lily knew this because she found toadstools Very Interesting. This was, unfortunately, because Lily’s parents had told her never to touch a toadstool, saying that they can make you extremely sick. Lily was not a disobedient girl, and so she never purposely touched one after that first incident of bringing a basketful inside so as to decorate her bedroom. Every now and then though, on warm days which make you feel drowsy, Lily could often be found lying on her tummy staring dreamily at a toadstool.
Lily had looked at many, many toadstools, and none of them had arms like this toadstool did.
“Hello? Mr Toadstool?”
Lily waited for a reply. There was none.
“I can see your arms, I know that you must be able to move and talk!”
There was still no reply, but Lily thought she saw one of the arms twitch. She tilted her head to the side. A tiny foot came into view.
“I can see your foot! Please say hello.”
There seemed to be a movement. Lily wondered why the toadstool still refused to reply. She remembered that if she was feeling afraid sometimes she would refuse to talk.
“Oh, don’t be scared, dear Mr Toadstool, I would never hurt you. I love meeting new people.”
The arms disappeared and for a second Lily thought she had frightened the toadstool even more, but a moment later a very small person came out from behind the toadstool stem, hands on hips and glaring angrily.
“I’m not afraid,” squeaked the tiny person. “I wouldn’t be afraid even if you were a cat. I’m not afraid of anything! And stop calling me ‘Mr Toadstool’! I’m not a toadstool!
Lily jumped in surprise. This little person was even smaller than her dolls.
“Sorry! I didn’t mean to upset you. I’ve never seen such a tiny person before. What is your name? And why are your ears shaking?”
At this last question the little person glared even more.
“My ears are shaking because I’m angry. Any intelligent Gendle would know that. I suppose overgrown beasts like you are rather stupid.”


That is the first part of the story. I hope you enjoyed it! No doubt you'll hear more soon enough!

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I love it when the strange new species get all high and mighty like that. It's totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is great! It reminds me of one of my daughters and one of my granddaughters that have such vivid imaginations! I cannot decide which one of their faces I am seeing while I am reading about Lily. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Cathy you are a clever girl! This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!