Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chai Tea Ice Cream Recipe

Earlier this week, inspired by my sister-in-law, I made a chai concentrate. My husband is now slightly addicted to chai tea. Here's the recipe for it if you are interested. It's super easy! We think it would be perfect to take camping, as it doesn't need to be refridgerated and no milk needs to be added. We keep in a jar in the fridge, but I think next time I make it I'll see if I can find a squeezy bottle to keep it in.


Anyway, ice cream!

I have a favourite ice cream recipe, and to this I added the spices used in the chai concentrate and replaced 70ml of the milk with black tea.* The result is a rich (very rich!) ice cream that tastes just like Christmas. Served with cherries (from the freezer, allowed to thaw) it is perfect.


Chai Tea Icecream
(a recipe designed for an ice cream machine)

4 egg yolks
125g castor sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
70ml black tea (cold)*
130ml milk
200ml thickened cream

Put the egg yolks, castor sugar and spices into a bowl and beat them until light and creamy. 

Add in the black tea, milk and cream, and use an electric mixer to whisk everything until smooth.

Get a spoon and eat all the bubbles that have formed on the surface of the mixture, because they are delicious.

Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and leave it for ages and ages, until the paddle moves back and forth a couple of times. (The addition of the water may mean that the paddle will never move back and forth: mine didn't reach this stage before I put it in the freezer, but it was light and creamy and holding it's shape.)

Serve (with cherries if possible) and enjoy!


*Next time, I would heat a little of the milk and let the black tea brew in that, allowing it to cool before adding it to the mixture.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! wish i had an ice cream maker now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for sharing. I will surely try this out.

    Take the Ice Cream Personality Test and find out what ice cream flavor are you as per your personality. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Get a spoon and eat all the bubbles that have formed on the surface of the mixture, because they are delicious."
    LOL. I love how this is part of the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum! We should definately have this for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm - looks good - thanks for sharing the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds interesting! I'll try making it this coming weekend after my dental check-up. Oh, I'm so excited to make an ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!