Monday, August 9, 2010

Loving My Home

In the past I have struggled a great deal with taking care of my home. This was hard, because I love to have things looking welcoming and cozy. However, mild depression and harsh criticism from others did wonders at making the simple task of washing the dishes an overwhelming THING that I felt I cannot "cope with".

Happily for me, the depression has gone now (at last) and I am focusing very hard on correcting myself with "yes I can!" whenever thoughts "I can't do this" creep in. I'm so pleased to be able to tell you that I am enjoying getting my house beautiful - I'm planning on dusting sometime within the next week - would you think I was strange if I told you that I'm excited about it?

I believe that the home is not merely somewhere to eat and rest your head, but a place to find rest that restores you and to welcome people who need encouragement. It has upset me deeply in the past when I have looked around and seen a place that needs a thorough tidy-up and clean before being ready to welcome anyone. This only served to add to my depression and feelings of failure. 

But now... oh my! You should visit me just to see how tidy and lovely it is right now! I am feeling so good about it and that makes my feel all happy inside.

This is a quote which has encouraged me greatly:
Cooking, cleaning and beautifying your home are not small things - they represent a slice of the creativity and beauty or Christ and we literally minister to our families and those who come into our homes by the simplest of these acts ~ Kelly Crawford. 

As if to reaffirm how important the home is, I recently stumbled upon this blogpost, which talks beautifully about having a Biblical perspective on the importance of the home. It really made me think about how I look after my house and how to make it a welcoming place for visitors - and for my husband when he gets home from work.

I'm so happy with how my home has changed over the last couple of weeks. My only issue is that my house gets messy again so quickly - keeping it cosy and lovely is a full time job!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, and I've only been taking care of my own home for a few weeks! It is such an effort and a full time job to keep the house the way I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post! I, too, love a neat and clean home. It can be a full-time job. But it adds to the serenity you can feel in a home.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!