Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Urban Neckwarmer: Design Process

The crocheters (so wanted to write crocheteers, like musketeers) among my readers will be happy to know that I have been plugging away at a neckwarmer version of the Urban Shells Scarf. At the moment I am working on one which is the same as the original scarf pattern, only using 10ply wool and a 5.5mm (I) hook and worked to a shorter length (here is the ravelry link). However, the first one I made I adjusted enough to justify writing a seperate pattern for it. I have not written the pattern up yet (would the crocheteers out there like a chart?) but I thought I would share a bit of the design process.

Do you do this when you are bored or stuck at a dead end?

The starting chain for the scarf needs to be a multiple of 6 and 4 (so 12, 24, 36 and so on), but with this neckwarmer I wanted it to be slightly narrower. It was important to make sure the starting chain was a multiple of 4 so that the edging would work. This meant I was left with an extra stitch for the main body of the neckwarmer (Oh no! I just realised that I have a mistake on the chart I have drawn! Well, that explains why there was only one left over stitch when there should have been 2 left over.) Anyway, mistake realised and now feeling rather sheepish, I now know why I had to slip stitch into the turning chain! Haha too funny! 

I love the button placement in this picture.

Moving on and pretending no mistakes were made, I adjusted the amount of ribs (the 3D-esque stripe-like feature) there would be in the neckwarmer to account for that extra stitch. I was not sure at first how to change the pattern, but ended up with a double rib down the centre of the neckwarmer, which I like a lot.

 I have not figured out a good clusure yet - the button is temporary. 
Suggestions would be welcome!

This neckwarmer was so fast to make up and the Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury Yarn is just so lovely to have against the skin (and it is machine washable and so very wonderfulty affordable!). So, pattern (mistake free!) or not? I await the jury's verdict :)

7 comments:

  1. I came here to say "Thank You!" Your words are precious to me. It is amazing to me that though we are an ocean (or three) away that we can become such confidants. I really wasn't sure of the response I'd get, but I had to tell the story; your words are encouraging and true and I love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the crocheted neckwarmer. I've been side-tracked knitting that I have crocheted in a very long time...might have to try this!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I'm so glad I could be encouraging! It is nice to find someone who you just click with, I am very happy to have found you in blogworld.

    stringsofpurls, thank you for your comment! I appreciate it and I think I might write it up, or maybe more of a tute on how to vary the original scarf pattern. Hmmm. Off to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely neckwarmer! I try to limit my crochet, as it causes wrist pain, but the size of this project isn't at all daunting. I wonder if a toggle type of button would work? I've seen neckwarmers with two toggle buttons, allowing the item to be buttoned in different places. I bought a lot of toggle buttons on sale, so maybe I'm just looking for a "excuse" to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ann! I think this only took two or tree hours to make. The 10ply helps speed it along :)

    I had thought of toggles. The other day I was playing with playdough (as you do...) and I thought of making salt dough buttons or toggles. All I would have to buy is soome clear-drying glue for varnishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to teel you that I think your neck warmer is FAB! It seems like more and more people are getting back to crochet and realizing how pretty it can be.

    By the way - stop by my blog. I have something there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Erin, crochet can be so beautiful... I love it. And thank you for my blog award! hehe I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!