Saturday, April 24, 2010

Choc Coated Anzac Slice

On the 25th of April it is Anzac Day. My dad fought in the Vietnam War and my grandfathers, great-grandfathers and other family members have fought in several other wars, including WW1 and WW2. War has had a big impact on my life, even though I come from a very sheltered country. I grew up hearing war stories and being so very thankful that my great-grandfather, my grandfathers and my father survived, not to mention great-uncles and so forth - I only know of one who died, a brother of my great-grandfather who died in WW1.
 

As a memorial of sorts, I would like to share this recipe with you. I first found this recipe on the Goddess's Kitchen about two years ago. Its original name is 'Afternoon Tea Slices' but I like to call it 'Chocolate Coated Anzac Slice'. Those of you who have made anzac biscuits will see from the list of ingredients why I call it this. I have made it quite a few times! It is the slice pictured in my current blog header.



Though the ingredients are the same, my method is slightly different and I use less chocolate. I hope you like it!

Chocolate Coated Anzac Slice

125g butter
2 tblsp golden syrup
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tblsp hot water
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
200g milk chocolate, melted (or dark chocolate)

1. Preheat oven to 160c. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper. Grease if you want to (I never grease it and it does not stick).
2. In a medium or large microwave proof bowl, put the butter and golden syrup and microwave until completely melted.
3. In a small cup or jug, mix the bicard and water. Add to golden syrup mixture and mix together.
4. Add oats, flour, sugar and coconut to the golden syrup, butter and bicarb mixture and mix well.
5. Press the mixture into the slice tin. Bake for 20 mins or until golden. 
6. Cool in tin. Pour over the melted chocolate* and leave until set. Cut into squares.


*Melting chocolate in the microwave: do this very carefully, 30 seconds at a time and stirring often with a knife. Make sure there is no water in the bowl or on the knife, and chocolate and water are mutual enemies.

2 comments:

  1. Anzac Day is always such a bittersweet day.
    I was very moved by what I witnessed in Vietnam. My trip was a really profound experience. I hope you go too.
    Lest we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to Vietnam someday. I've seen so many pictures and heard so many stories. We will remember them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!