Friday, January 25, 2008

I made this for tea, and it tasted okay (which was nice)

I like playing with food, and tonight I made up a recipe that I call...

Chicken and Champignon Bake

1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1kg chicken drumsticks (10 drumsticks)
400g tin champignons
salt and freshly ground black pepper
dried garlic


Spread onion over the base of a greased baking dish. Arrange chicken over the onion. Sprinkle the drumsticks with salt, pepper and dried garlic. pour a little of the juice from the champignons over the chicken and onion. Cut champignons in half and arrange over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake in a mod hot oven (210 celsius) for 45minutes.

*edit* Instead of the s&p and garlic, mix 4tspns brown sugar, 4tspns wholegrain mustard and 60g butter, and spread over chicken. After baking, put under hot grill for 5-10 min. Much nicer!

  • Estimated cost: $7
  • Preparation time: 5-10min + 45min cooking
  • Serves: 4

Here's a pic of it before it was cooked (sorry I forgot to take one afterwards, but it looked pretty much the same except the chicken is whiter):


It tasted okay... I have to go watch my hubby play indoor soccer, so I'll finish writing what I want to tell you when I get back...

Well, I'm back and Julian's team won, 9-3. Yay!! So... I was pretty happy with the chicken dish, though there are some things I would change. It had a nice flavour, but it was a bit too subtle. It might be nicer with a tin of sliced mushrooms in butter, or with seeded mustard spread over the chicken. I served it with corn on the cob, which had been wrapped in bacon coated with seeded mustard, brown sugar and butter, and baked in the oven. Totally delicious. Tomorrow we will be eating the rest of the chicken with a lettuce, tomato and avocado salad with a balsamic vinagrette. (My mouth is already watering.)

If you try cooking it let me know - especially about any changes you make!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!